How Hot is Too Hot?

 The started out in Meadows,  just 2 miles south of New Meadows.  The ride north was fast, it was nice and cool.  After transitioning from the Meadows region, there was a long prolonged downhill through very pretty forest, mostly along the Little Salmon River.   By the time I got to Rawlins, the heat started to build.

I correspondingly slowed down quite a bit.   The plan was to eat lunch in Whitebird, and I met up with some other cyclists who are travelling the same route. By this time it was HOT.  They decided to bum a ride to the top of the upcoming Whitebird Hill.  I decided to do the climb.  The hill goes from 1700 feet to 4200 feet over about 6 miles.  I stopped a total of 7 times to try to cool down.  Total climb took me just over 2 hrs, not counting stops.  After a quick but all too short downhill, it was a slog against the wind to Grangeville where I was supposed to meet Leslie.  I was cooked. After sitting in the airconditioning for a few minutes, I decided to bag it and go the rest of the way in the camper.  The original plan was to do 100 miles today.

Starting Temp 56; Average Temp 91; Maximum Temp 118.

After looking things over and judging how I feel, I have decided to pull the plug if the temp is over 100.  

Tomorrow is another planned 100 mile ride, we'll see if the weather co-operates.


Morning Ride

  • Distance
    84.79 mi
  • Elev Gain
    3,363 ft
  • Time
    6h 17m



    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Last Long Ride

    Fred