Entering Appalachia

 Day 42

Our campsite tonight is in Buckhorn, just downriver from a dam on the Kentucky river that was started in 1956, mostly for flood control.  The only unfortunate part of this is that its over 100 miles from where we camped yesterday.

I got an early start and hit the road at 0710.  The first part of the ride winds all over the place on small often one lane roads.  I spent some time confused, and actually had to ask directions from a passing motorist.  I passed through the town of Paint Lick, then on to Berea.  There is a college there and school is just about to begin. I passed through the campus, and noted several people moving into the dorms.

After Berea, I went through the town of Big Hill.  I wondered about the name since the route from Berea was mostly downhill.  Well,  a big climb is right after you leave town.  I met Leslie for lunch in McKee, and for a cold drink in Booneville.  I had several more hills to climb before arriving at the campground just south of Buckhorn.  No scenic pictures today.  

Several dog encounters, I either scolded them which confuses them or out run them is the conditions are right.  The day was cloudy to start out, which kept the temperature under control, but it was pretty hot in the afternoon.

Here's the profile of the route:




Here's the day's route:

Morning Ride

  • Distance
    110.02 mi
  • Elev Gain
    6,880 ft
  • Time
    8h 33m








    Tomorrow's route is much shorter.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Last Long Ride

    Fred