Over the Blue Ridge

 Day 50

The day started out at the Natural Bridge KOA.  There was a fairly thick fog, and everything was wet.  I started out without my rain jacket on, but that didn't last long.  As I rode north on route 11, things gradually cleared, and it turned out to be a beautiful day.  I passed through the town of Lafayette, which is home to the Virginia Military Institute.  Saw a bunch of guys standing around in military garb.  As I rode north, the route became less hilly.  This was right in the Shenandoah Valley.  I made my way to Waynsboro, then over the hill to our campsite.  The route crossed the Blue Ridge right at the end/start of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.  As I went downhill headed east, I noticed that the cars headed west were backed up for more than 5 miles.  The freeway that goes through here is Rt 64, and apparently there was an accident that blocked west bound traffic. Everyone had gotten off the freeway to get around the accident, so they parked on Rt 250.  Tomorrow is a day off , then we make our way through the Virginia Piedmont to the coast.  


Morning Ride

  • Distance
    60.69 mi
  • Elev Gain
    3,660 ft
  • Time
    4h 37m

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Last Long Ride

    Fred